15 June 2009

España

I put up the Madrid pix the other day on Flickr.

I think what piece of my heart that I didn´t leave in San Fransicso, I left in Spain. Seriously. Well, Valencia anyway. Madrid I liked well enough. I didn´t get to take as many pictures as I would have liked b/c my camera battery wouldn't charge properly & died two days in a row :(

I was blown away by the marvelous, historical buildings. And you know me with my obsession for doors, doorways, wrought iron anything, architecture, little things that most people don't notice. PLENTY of that in Madrid. BUT what I noticed was that most of the people I passed didn't smile. They looked unhappy? (?!?!?!) and/or "unfriendly". It kind of bummed me out. Especially since there's so much beauty in Madrid. And -at least the district where we were staying- folks seemed really judgmental; as they passed, they eyeballed you up & down as if to judge what you were wearing. Wow. I don't think I've experienced that before -even in Paris. It was bizarre.

BUT BUT BUT! Valencia! OMG!!! From the moment we entered the city limits -actually even a couple miles out- I could tell it was going to be overwhelmingly fabulously beautiful. And I was not disappointed! It was like San Francisco -but older & European. EVERYWHERE I looked was something different & beautiful. And, well, I don't know what else to say about it. We only drove into the city to have lunch the first day & I so badly wanted to stay longer. We spent only 1 day in Valencia -and even that was only about 4 hours. Soooooooooo not enough time! I could have stayed forever. Yes. I enjoyed it that much. See -like San Francisco, that much. It was worlds different than Madrid. And the people were way friendlier -well, except for the two old ladies who asked me directions -en Español- & I couldn't help them.

And the food. I was sad to come back to the US for all of the above AND the food. I ask you, how can I be expected to eat this American cuisine after I have eaten in Spain? It's just not fair, I tell you. I tasted some of the most delicious food I've ever eaten. Ever. Now I need a Spanish cookbook to re-do our whole menu. Unfortunately -oh how unfortunate- I can't get the seafood in Colorado, maybe not anywhere in the US. I_Can't_Stand_It.

Can I go back already? Please?










No comments: