28 September 2005

What's new?

so, I am almost caught up w/ the Sopranos. Couple more episodes & I'll have to wait to watch along w/ everyone else. With OnDemand I can get my fix and watch a couple episodes @ once but then I have to wait a month for the next installment of episodes. Geez, it sucks either way.

There is something strangely attractive about Tony Soprano. Not in the Matthew McConaughey beautiful to look at and listen to way. Maybe the power that the character exudes. Garrett mockingly asks if he should put on 50 lbs around the middle. It's not that at all. Heck, the show itself is addicting. The characters are all such hilarious caricatures. I can vicariously partake in the American Italian mob life (or a reasonable fascimile thereof?) if only for 50 minutes at a time. I have to rationalize that at least it's not Days or some other mundane daytime drama. You know, with the completely ridiculous storylines...possession, death/return from "death", same face/different character, same character/different face. All that crap. Fine, I'll admit the Sopranos storylines are a bit farfetched...nobody gets busted for anything -murder, racketeering, whatever. Hmmm, you know, if these wise guys were in Las Vegas, there would be no show...CSI solves EVERY crime. hahahaha.

Speaking of which...new season. And there should be CSI OnDemand. Or a CSI channel. Another far fetched program with which to blot out reality. What's that saying I once heard? "T.V. is for people who can't afford drugs"? Nikki did a research paper last year on t.v. as a bad influence. One book she read was "the plug in drug" or something to that effect. It's all true. I did a research paper myself on said topic. I know the facts. But I also know that coffee is toxic...doesn't stop me from having a daily dosage.

Damn the inventor of the wide screen t.v. and the person who came up w/ digital cable. Life was so much easier w/ only 10 channels. And when the family t.v. was smallish or black & white. Or just the ONLY t.v. in the house. And there was a bit of exercise involved w/ having to get up to change the channel. Now one can get trapped in the time sucking activity of surfing not only the current lineup but also surfing the WHOLE day's lineup and even into next week, if one so chooses. One can spend more time WATCHING projects or exercise programs to attempt rather than actually doing these things oneself. One can spend more time PLANNING what to watch than even watching the actual program. It's a downward spiral.

No comments: