02 July 2007

here I go again on my own...




So here's a lost cause. I was pondering the exercise dilemma with some friends last week at a daytime knitting playdate. I don't understand -& it's quite frustrating- how my life has become so sedentary. Five years ago I was running once & sometimes 2X/day, walking everywhere when I wasn't on my bike, working out 3X/week, yoga or aerobics 3X week, hiking frequently, snowboarding, rock climbing, etc etc etc. Now I'm lucky if I get out to walk the dog. Sad but true. I had this epiphany on the drive home from Arvada that the difference in my life is that then I had daycare. Sitting here typing this out, I realize there is more to it than that. Six years ago I was living in Boulder & didn't need to drive anywhere. I was surrounded by equally active people. My downhill slide into lack of exercise started when I moved to Longmont. Oh, I was still quite active, but it wasn't the same level of intensity. Moving to Denver cemented the lifestyle change. And the crappy food addition to my diet? Yeah, that stated about the same time as the Denver move. So now what? I suppose I could reign in my lack of self control when it comes to food. Making time for exercise would be a wise decision. Changing my sleeping pattern so that I go to bed earlier & wake earlier than anyone else would probably make for more time spent in physical activity. These are all things I know & don't need a book to tell me about. I just have to figure out how to regain control of my self-discipline & motivate myself to do these things. hmmmmm.

No comments: