06 November 2007

how I spent my birthday

This is the good part of my birthday celebration:

my good friend Chris was visiting from Pittsburgh for the weekend. On Thursday we went to the Pens/Avs game. Sadly, the Pens lost. However, Nikki has declared her undying love for Pens C Sydney Crosby & (unbeknownst to him -yet) he is now her future husband. We convinced Snick to spend the night & watch Grey's. Yay!

On Friday we had a little retail therapy & then had lunch with my ex/Nikki's dad Bryan. Maggiano's downtown -always tasty. That night we dined at Gunther Toody's because Chris prefers "normal" food. Chris & I tried to see American Gangster, but it was sold out. Instead we watched "1408" -typical Stephen King. Actually, it started out strong -reminiscent of "The Shining"- then faded into this "Tales from the Crypt" type movie towards the end.

Saturday was up in the air; Chris wanted to go hiking "in the mountains". I wasn't sure what she meant but I wanted to take her somewhere she hadn't been before...the Continental Divide was new for her, so it was kind of spur of the moment as I was driving west on I-70 with no particular destination in mind. I don't think she realized how cold it is at higher elevations. Needless to say, we didn't hike (Maddie was getting a little concerned, considering she chose to wear a skort).

We drove to Boulder via Golden, taking the old Rte 6 through all the tunnels then HWY 93. We stopped at Broadway and Dartmouth for a photo-op...I'll post about that later. We met Nikki, & Chris had the opportunity to check out Nikki's pad. We ate at Islands -another "normal" food joint for Chris. It's actually quite tasty. Garrett met us too, after installing our wireless at home. (yay!) (now, about that xmas list...macbook, added)

Chris & I went to Glacier for the most delish gelato as the end of my birthday sweet treat. (Garrett had swapped cars with me & had taken the girls home). Later, we watched a bit of Monty Python & the Holy Grail with Maddie before an early bedtime -Chris had a 6:30am flight.


why so chilly mamacita?

could be because you're standing on top of a mountain?



view of the bowl on the other side of the road leading to A-Basin



took the scenic rte 6 down & stopped at tunnel #1 for a break. See that awesome striation on the wall between Fi & Lib? (not a camera error, it really is cool striation)


mountain glass?

this boulder fell from...

...this wall. Can you imagine the massive crashing sound it made?

see, I know deep down she likes being outdoors; that is not the smile of a girl who prefers to be inside


back in Boulder, there is a story behind this light pole

No comments: