12 November 2007

November 3 1997, revisited

Or "The Reason I Believe in Guardian Angels"

so, the story behind the lightpole. Have I posted this before? I better check first. Okay, no. Earlier in the summer I noticed how rusted the lightpole has become, so I've been wanting to get a snap of the lightpole for posterity's sake before it's replaced. Here is is again:


10 years ago, I rode the bus to this bus stop at Broadway & Dartmouth in Boulder. I was on my way to pick up Nikki at her school across the street. I was standing on the southwest corner right beside the pole waiting for the light to turn & watching traffic rush by.

I watched -in what totally seemed like slow motion- you know those moments, the ones you can "see" what will happen next- as a little white car travelling south in the middle lane of Broadway (three lane street, 40 MPH?) put on her turn signal to turn west onto Dartmouth. BUT there was a beige/gold Suburban (or some equally mammoth SUV) travelling in the right lane beside her. The white car started to turn right into the SUV. The SUV then continued its inertia on a somewhat 35 degree angle directly towards me and the other pedestrians. I was standing right in the path between pole & SUV. SOMETHING moved me backwards -like I was floating, not rushing post haste- just out of harms way. There really was no time for reaction as it all happened in a split second -despite the seeming slow mo. I could feel the shattering something (glass? headlights?) from the SUV fall on me.

The SUV did not rest there, however, but sort of bounced EAST off the light pole & continued traveling across all three lanes to finally rest in the median on Broadway. I was in shock as I walked to Nikki's school. I couldn't even hang around to see what happened b/c Nikki was only 9 and she needed me to pick her up from her after-school Spanish class.

It was mind-boggling thinking about what could have happened. It still makes me think. The SUV could have bounced west & tragedy would have ensued. I was about 2 months pregnant with Maddie. Ten years later, I brought Maddie to the spot where our very successful guardian angel saved both of our lives. You can see the dent the SUV left as a marker for history. This memory also reminds me (and I tell Maddie to think on this too, when she's feeling blue) that God surely has a greater plan for us; we could easily have been snuffed out like a little birthday candle on that day.

That's one guardian angel story. I have a really really good guardian angel.

No comments: