06 July 2008

brief(?) update

I've been busy gardening...alot. It took freaking forever to get all the river rocks out of the garden bed. I swear it was at least 4 inches deep in rock. We've gone ahead & planted even though it's a little late in the season. I figured that because we have such a long season, it'd work out okay -as long as I water every day. So far so good. So far, we've planted: cucumbers, carrots, purple bush beans, lavendar, pumpkins, rhubarb, lupines, tomatoes, mint.

The Juliet tomatoes are doing extremely well -lots of little fruits. The Patio Tomato plant is stunted, for some reason: Two little fruits but it hasn't grown more than 8 inches tall! I also have an heirloom tomato plant that I can't remember the name of. It's growing strong, but no fruits.

The cucumbers are sprouting; yesterday there were 3, today there are at least 7. So far two pumpkins have sprouted.

Oh, Fiona was on a planting kick one day & spied the cantaloupe seeds cleaned from the fruit we were eating. She took a cupful & planted them all in a pot. So far there's one sprout! Same day she planted an avocado pit. She has plans to give the ensuing fruit to Lindsay to feed Roisin when they visit...too cute!

We also put the Lamb's Ears & the 3 Hens & Chicks plants in the ground. They were immediately happier than they'd been in the plastic containers from the nursery ('cause I bought them in May but only just planted them last week). (Hens couldn't send out chicks horizontally, so they grew vertically! It was pretty cool -and they flowered!).

I have the mint in a pot, so it doesn't take over the garden. I still have other herbs to plant, but I'll do those in pots too so I can take them in over the winter & continue to harvest as long as possible.

Instead of fighting the grape vines the former residents had planted, I've decided this year to just roll with it & try to train them up. I have a money bush I want to plant there too.

Something is eating one of my rhubarb plants. Anyone have suggestions?

I've pruned all the lilacs & the forsythia. I still have a few things to plant in the backyard, & that will be it but for maintanence this year. Next year should be a little easier since everything will be set up & ready to go; I can plant earlier & maybe not have to worry so much about the heat.

This week I'll do some planting in the front of the house.

It's been a lot of work, but it's satisfying as all get out.

I rearranged the t.v. room seating yesterday. Next I'm working on the craft/dining/computer room. Eventually I'll kick the kids out of the playroom & turn it into a craft room...ti-i-i-ime is on my side, yes it is! But for now, I've got to work with that open area that houses 3 separate activities.

What else? Mad continues in Sharks this week. She is also interested in checking out swim team tomorrow morning (yes!) Her feet have grown 2 sizes -I swear it was overnight a couple weeks ago. She raided Nikki's shoe stash in the garage yesterday. She was sporting my Steve Madden summer platforms -and they fit. Garrett of course said no way to her -and warned me to hide my shoes hahaha! I bought her a counted cross-stitch kit & after she got the gist of it, she didn't want to put it down. She's been reading voraciously...and staying up way too late in the process. Maddies's also started being a mother's helper for Lindsay a couple hours a week. She really enjoys playing with Roisin. After the last session, Maddie said she wants to buy a toy that she can bring for Ro to play with specifically for their time together. She'll be a fab babysitter in a couple years.

Feefer is becoming quite adept at the monkey bar on the swing set. She'll be doing front & back flips in no time. I've started her on a needlepoint project & she loves it! She does a fine rendition of a body snatcher scream, after we watched the first 2 versions of the flick last week.

Olivia is getting faster & is giving Fi an actual race. Of course it's only made Fi all that much more competitive. Also breaking out in a body snatcher scream and point -but very spontaneously. Fi only does it after Lib has. Lib also sings constantly, making up little songs for whatever she's doing, wherever she goes. E.g. we were walking home from watching the Glendale fireworks last night & as she walked on the edges of each lawn, she sang "I'm walking in the pie. I'm walking in the pie. I'm walking in the pie again...."

I saw Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
yesterday evening with my friend Linda. It was pretty good; I give it a "B". Never judge a movie by it's bad reviews. It was entertaining & worth the price of admission...and I don't say that often (as Garrett pointed out when I got home.) (BTW, Will Smith is hot as ever)

What else? Oh yeah, the number 1 daughter. She'll start her junior year at CU in the fall. Her declared major is Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences. It sounds like she has found her passion. We're hoping to meet her bfriend sometime this month (hint hint).

That's all from the Front Range for now. As soon as everything is in the ground, I'll have more time to post regularly again!

1 comment:

gilbride. said...

caterpillars love rhubarb (cabbage worms)...

so i'd get a pest to balance it out. what eats caterpillars? make sure you have birds and/or spiders around.

oh, and i found this: A really good natural repellent is hot pepper spray. You can make the spray by chopping or grinding hot peppers into fine particles. You then mix 1/2 cup of the grounded peppers with 1 pint of water and then strain out the particles to form a clear solution. You should spray the plants twice, 2 or 3 days apart. Just make sure the spray makes contact with the cabbageworm.

so if that is your culprit, you could make some spicy insecticide. :)

i remember something about a beetle that likes rhubarb, but i don't know much about beetles or how to stop them.