15 November 2008

tribute to black & white movies party

hmmmm, what can I say? I was totally stoked about this party. I mean, really, a THEME party? Yay! A party with a theme of black & white movies? Squeee! And not just a house party but a real live shindig at the DCPA? Where do I sign up???

Most of you know that my very favorite era is circa 1930's to 1950's. OMG this was going to be a swell party & I was going to freaking dress accordingly. And so I did. And so did Garrett. We took light rail & everything & it was probably our 3rd real date this year (sad but true). Another couple on the train asked if we were going to see Madame Butterfly because of the way we were dressed.

Okay, so I knew we would be the best dressed in the joint. And I was right. And I kinda sorta thought alot of other people wouldn't really dress for the occasion. But I didn't expect us to be the ONLY people dressed for the theme! There was one other woman who was wearing a 1930's era gown/bridal gown, but I kid you not, that was it!

I can't complain too much, I mean, it was tasty food & booze & a band & dancing. AND I was even able to get Garrett on the dance floor for one solitary slow dance -our first in 6 years! (yes, really)

BUT the band played mostly disco. Fine, it's good for dancing & most of the people in attendance were about the age to have gone through early adulthood in the 70's. But ya know, if I were in charge, there would have been a swing band or a jazz band.

And as for the dress code, granted the invite did say "Black & white party or business casual attire". But c'mon folks be a little imaginative! Dress for the theme too!! Garrett said that of course the party attendees wouldn't be able to cut loose like that because they're doctors & they're so used to being "responsible" all the time, all their adult lives. Whatev. It's a PARTY! A THEME party!

At least I know we looked fab!



















No comments: