07 September 2009

Obama's live speech to school children

I've embedded it here (hope it works), if you happen to be perusing my site at the time -or you can click here to watch it on the gov site.




I've been waiting on pins & needles for this speech with great curiosity as to what the all the furor is. Lucky for us, written speech was published today. I cannot fathom what fear the conservatives & stalwart anti-Obama folks have about this. I mean, seriously. I've read people comparing this to nazi indoctrination in 1930's Germany. Oh.My.God. Same people state that they will not allow their children to attend school on this day. That's right. Go on and hide your heads in the sand.

I personally feel that there is nothing wrong with the President of the United States speaking to children via a live broadcast at school. It's not a secret. It's not something that's been all on the down-low & children aren't allowed to talk about it with their parents. Or that parents can't view the same broadcast simultaneously as their kids. Now, if any of those factors were in place, THEN I'd have a problem with the speech.

What about the accompanying curriculum that the Board of Education has constructed that schools MAY use as a tie-in to the speech? I see nothing wrong with my kids writing a letter to themselves to be opened at a later date -no matter the "wording" in the purpose (i.e. "to help the President"). My 11 year old did this activity in school at the beginning of the year in, I think, 3rd grade. Not at the suggestion of the Board of Education. Or was it? She was in a US public school, led by a teacher who went through her own higher education in the US, and as a public school teacher in the US has to adhere to rules & suggestions made by the local school district -which in turn is accountable to the BOARD OF EDUCATION. Oh revelation of revelations! (And you know what?? My daughter's taken it upon herself to write subsequent letters to herself -sealed, to be opened at a later date -because she thought it was a good idea.)**

The thought occurred to me the other day -actually, a few thoughts: "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what can you do for your country"; and "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."

People can run scared from the unknown- the leadership now at our country's helm is just that. A black man in the highest position of power in the USA with new ideas. But really, the only cure for fear of the unknown is education. I suggest instead of dragging heels into the present (and ultimately the future) like a petulant child being made to do some necessary chore, we be supportive of our President -all the while keeping an open mind to possibilities of success and staying abreast of the FACTS of what's happening. Change can't happen if we continue the way things have always been. And change is what we sorely need, as what's been done in the past clearly isn't working for the present.

Instead of "listening" with fingers in ears because the suggestions come from "a black man", (yeah, people may deny that, but you & I KNOW that covert racism in this country is insidiously rampant & that is the exact, albeit unspoken, sentiment of some Obama foes), actually listen. And listen well. And THINK before shooting down ideas that are different from the past. God help us all if we can't get over ourselves & come together as reasonable, responsible adults to fix what's wrong in our country and the world.

addendum:
**(nor would I have any problem with my kids actually learning about the PRESIDENT of the United States in SCHOOL -living or deceased, whether or not I voted for him/her & whether or not I agree with all of his/her policy stances. As far as I know, there's still a system of checks & balances in place here that sometimes works in MY favor, sometimes not, so I'm not worried much about any one politician "indoctrinating" my kids. It's all a part of civics, is it not? to be aware & educated about how our government works & who exactly comprises said government. Hello!?!!)

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Where's the "Like" button on these things?

rockymtmama said...

hahaha! Thanks for leaving a comment :) and a "like" :) Maybe I should post it to my FB?