28 January 2006

off topic completely -green day & NHL

God love 'em both. I have to ask though, and hope that someone can answer...wtf is up w/ the Green Day "mini-rock opera" or whatever the DJ called it on the radio? "Suburban Jesus" or some sh*t??? I did not hear the whole thing. I am not current on Green Day happenings. What I did hear were blatant rip-offs of other songs incorporated into said "opera" w/ different lyrics. Is is purposeful? Is it considered "sampling" (or whatever the f*ck it's called these days). Can somebody explain? What I heard was music from some old Motley Crue -On With the Show. And old Johnny Cash -Ring of Fire and a couple others but can't remember them just now. I was perturbed at first. I mean, Green Day was at least a little original. This was a disappointing moment in music history -unless there is a good explanation.

And I'm glad NHL is back. But why all the friggin' rule changes to make it a "no contact" sport, so to speak, but then allow fighting still??? I tried to use the old excuse -"well that's just the way hockey is". A friend watching w/ me made the usual rebuttal "well no other professional sport -MLB, NFL, etc. -allows it" I said, "it's barbaric, really, isn't it?" to which he replied "boxing is barbaric". I said "then it's one step above boxing?" Is it true? Is hockey only that? Talented, entertaining barbarianism? It does take a certain amount of talent to skate on ice & hit a 3 inch diameter hard rubber puck w/ accuracy as a team. And it is entertaining. And it is barbaric despite the rule changes. I don't understand. Why bother changing the rules? Props to Super Mario for getting all that moving & allowing for a game in which he could showcase his vast abilities (as well as those of countless other players). but then to continue to allow knock down drag 'em out brawls? Okay, maybe they don't allow bench clearing brawls anymore (weren't those the days??? I don't deny enjoying barbarianism!) But I don't understand. Was it merely to allow for higher scoring? To what end? I mean, one team wins & one team loses in the end -no matter high scores or low, right? It's been a day of confusion.... Help?!

No comments: