21 April 2008

ramble on

I fried my phone yesterday. Freak accident that I couldn't replicate if I tried. I was deleting texts & had laid the open phone down on the counter while it worked. In the meantime, I had poured about 2 inches of water in a small, child-size cup to take herbal tinctures. The cup was on the counter beside the phone. I noticed a cutie -one of those super small clementines- in our fruit bowl that looked a bit overripe. I picked the cutie out of the bowl and fumble fingers dropped it INTO the cup. It displaced a good bit of water -but not much at all, really- onto the phone. ARGH! Crisis! I laid the phone in the sun to dry out to no avail. None of the buttons work except the on/off button. I can't call out. I can't dial. My phone rings, and I was able to talk successfully on it twice since.

If I don't answer, try again. I guess I'll have to carry it with me so I can answer it before it stops ringing. I haven't been able to get to it fast enough today & I can't push the recall button it to see who's called. Argh. I hate carrying it on my person all day.

Or you could just email me or contact me through facebook. That's kind of a pain, I know. But it's been kind of freeing, in a way, to not have my phone. And I don't know when I'll be getting a new one. At the AT&T store, the least expensive phone without a contract was $179. We just renewed our contract & the phone was maybe 4 months old. Bummer.

It's kind of like sunglasses. I've never broken an expensive pair. I've lost one pair, though. It was memorable, at least. After touring the Cardhu Whisky Distillery, and later walking a while down the River Spey in Scotland, I had placed them on top of the car while tending baby Madster. And then drove off without retrieving them. That was a bummer b/c they were a fine pair of driving Serengheti's that Denise had given to me as a birthday gift. Wah! Oh, and breaking an expensive pair. Yeah, I've never done it, but that isn't to say it hasn't happened. Witness this photo

This is what I found outside a couple weeks ago. I'd been looking & looking for my lovely Natives. They were barely a year old; I remember I bought them with my 20% coupon & my REI member kickback check. ARGH. I thought I had misplaced them. I knew I hadn't lost them, but for the life of me could not remember leaving them anywhere but the usual resting spot on top of the breadbox. We'll just call this reason #100 why I won't have anymore kids. Call me selfish, but I'd like to have some space to call my own. Some time. Some things that little fingers don't touch.

So yeah, the phone. I'm looking for G's old phone but the girls have been using it to play with & I can't find it. Go figure.

Get this: I took a whole back seat of toys to Goodwill the other day. It was refreshing. And there's a bit more space in the playroom. I told G that I will be occupying that room in 4 or 5 years. Maybe sooner. As they outgrow toys, I've got to let them go. Right now we have all of the little people on the kitchen floor, on their way to the garage, to wait for G's sister to take -or to donate to some other good cause. Maybe the church nursery?

And a little FYI, if you've made it thus far in the post: Maddie has a solo in her choir performance on Saturday, 26 April. Well, actually it's a duet. But it's exciting! 4pm mass, Most Precious Blood Church on Colorado & Harrison.

1 comment:

gilbride. said...

hey, the pay-as-you-go phones work with bill pay. that's what we bought when one of trev's phones crapped out. we got it for under 50 bucks. btw, we'll totally take the little people in a year or so. :D