14 April 2008

what's up?

While watching "American Hardcore" after work Satuday night (really Sunday morning), I was reminded of quite a few fun & memorable experiences from back in the day. And I realized that I hadn't been to a show in a very long time. Every once in a while I get online & look for upcoming shows, but don't usually make it out of the house (go figure). Or else it's been my luck that I'll find out about a band playing in Denver the week afer they've already been, etc. For instance, a couple weeks ago I heard that X was playing, but I was on my way to work so I couldn't go. Anyway, I was thinking about how I would like to go to some kind of hardcore/metal show. 'Cause it's just been too long. 'Cause it's something that I miss doing...one of those parts of oneself that slowly & insidiously gets pushed to the backburner -or completely off the stove altogether -after the 3rd & 4th kids are born.

Lo & behold my friend Sean happens to be in town for a long weekend. He tells me that he's going to see this Pittsburgh band on Sunday. Yay! perfect timing! By the time I got to the show this Boston band was onstage. I have to say, after having been out of the scene for 12 years or so, I couldn't have asked for a better performance. Street Dogs was really impressive. Their sound was unmistakable Boston. Indeed, I think I enjoyed them more than I did the headlining act (no offense to da 'burgh). AND I have to give a BIG thanks to someone Sean has tattooed (band member? roadie?) called Toby who got us into the show. HUGE Thank you!

No, I didn't get into the (meager) pit (wrong shoes for the occasion), but it was music to my ears (or rather, almost fuel for rebellion, had I been 20 years younger) to hear the security guard/cop tell the person in front of me at the entrance "there's no crowd surfing tonight." And it was a sight for sore eyes to see a few mohawks in the audience. Ahhhhhh...home.

I thought about bringing Maddie, just for the experience of it. It would have been fun- & I'm sure she would have enjoyed it- but I'm glad that I didn't: That would have ended my night out all too soon. Hey, I don't get out often; I've got to maximize the time I have sans kiddos when I can.

Thanks Sean, I needed that night more than you can imagine (well, you're soon to find out what I mean, hahaha!)

No comments: