18 August 2009

2 days in

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

so I've started on this 30 day challenge that was initiated by Sara at Happy Foody. Some of you know I've been contemplating returning to a vegetarian lifestyle. And that I've been contemplating going completely raw. In my search for info on a raw lifestyle, I came across the Happy Foody blog. The 30 Days Green challenge seemed just right & the timing was perfect (found it Sunday night). Do you love synchronicity as much as I do??

The challenge is to drink a green smoothie every morning, exercise of some sort every day, salad with lunch or dinner, no soda, & no white sugar. Easy enough & all good. Seems like a smooth transition to a veg diet.

Yesterday's smoothie consisted of o.j., low fat yogurt, spirutein, and spinach. Did I mention that the Cuisinart handheld blender is my new favorite kitchen appliance? I've been having a smoothie nearly every day for the last month or so, but I've never added greens. Why? It was just as tasty as without, but had that many more nutrients. Today was o.j., spoonful of HOMEMADE yogurt, spirutein, frozen red grapes & spinach. Yum. Hmmm, come to think of it, I'll have to check the ingredients of the spirutein for sugar. I like it for the protein, but have never thought about the sugar content -or what kind of sugar might be in it.

I found a new favorite recipe for raw kale salad -sooooo freaking delish, I almost ate the whole thing in one day!!! I found it also at the Happy Foody blog. Actually, I think I found this recipe & then spied the 30 Days Green challenge. I never knew kale could be eaten raw. I think I may never eat it cooked again. Seriously, this recipe is that darn good! It's definitely going to be a once a week salad. I used the hemp seed oil, tomato, a whole avocado instead of half, lemon juice, sea salt & a couple splashes of Cholula instead of cayenne, and a couple shakes of Seto Fumi Furikake. I might try adding some pine nuts or sunflower seeds next time.



(oh, & the sweetness in Spirutein comes from fructose. whew!)

1 comment:

Chloe m said...

That kale recipe looks tasty and worth trying.
I always start out great on these challenges and after 12 hours I bomb. I always find excuses. This one sounds good though. I could handle this one. I am not a big meat eater so I would not miss the meat. Maybe the sugar would be the hardest for me. :)
Rosey