16 August 2009

Japanime button workshop


(so that's where all those DAM stickers end up)

Maddie & I participated in this workshop through Fresh City Life at the Denver Public Library. When I first told Maddie that I had signed her up, she was less than enthusiastic about it; she said she wasn't interested in Asian culture anymore. I made her go anyway. And she was glad I did. She's already planning on going to the next workshop & has her sisters wanting to go as well.


The workshop was held at a little coffee shop called NOVO. OMG. One of the best cups of coffee I've ever had. Seriously. Right up there with Paris.


first we cut out pictures for our buttons




then we used a template cutter to make the pictures round




then we stood in line with 30 other folks to have our turn making the actual buttons



Afterwards we walked around the block, no traffic, hardly any people (the library closes at 6pm most days of the week; crazy, right?)(and the DAM closes at 5; more craziness).


interesting sculpture outside the coffee shop




the famous horse on chair sculpture outside the library


I don't know the name of this sculpture outside the old section of the DAM



Denver Public Library -central branch, west entrance


Denver has a cool city & county seal, no?


the new section of the DAM jutting out over the street in front of the library

And then Maddie had her haircut -an inspiration she had early Thursday morning. She was so pleased with the cut, she couldn't stop gushing about it during the drive home & all the rest of the night. I personally received an abundance of hugs & kisses & verbal thanks for taking her (& paying for it). I have to agree -it really is a super cute look on her. (I haven't seen her this happy since she was in the Mediterranean in Spain)


proudly displaying her new 'do and handmade by Maddie buttons





what do you think???

3 comments:

Chloe m said...

OH I love it!
My younger teenage daughters would have loved this!
They are into Anime, big time. I will show them this post, they will get a kick out of it.
It looks like Maddie had fun, depsite her initial response!
Rosey

Chloe m said...

A fun band my girls love is BIG BANG. Your daughter might like them, they are Korean? not sure.
Anyway, if she wants to find them, they are on YouTUBE.
(Reminds me of an Asian Menudo)

Chloe m said...

Okay, I am not stalking you!
I just wanted to say Kudos to you for getting your kitchen painted!
I bet it looks fabulous!