16 January 2010

movies

Here's something I used to post about. Used to. Why did I stop? No clue. Let's give it another go.

Madster & I viewed this "horror" flick last night. Maddie's been working on her "ability" to watch scary movies. You know, getting used to being frightened temporarily without being afraid after the movie is over. I figured this would be an appropriate flick towards that goal. I was not disappointed.



Typical Sam Raimi. You know, over the top "horror" & special effects. Not brilliant special effects, mind you, just over the top. By that I mean the kind of effects that make one squirm & squeal & laugh out loud all in the same shot. Not overly scary, but some good sequences that made us jump. Maddie still covers her eyes & plugs her ears when she thinks something really bad is going to happen onscreen. It took until about halfway through the movie for her to realize that this movie wasn't all that "bad".

Also plenty of those "something" following the main character shots reminiscent of "The Evil Dead" but perhaps perfected in this version. And one scene in particular looked higher quality than the rest of the movie -the money shot, shall I say?

Side notes: Justin Long was too good for this role. And the ending was NOT what I expected. At all.

If you don't "get" Sam Raimi's work, skip this one too -unless you can watch it with an open mind & not expecting to be "scared sh*tless". But if you do enjoy his other work, you won't be disappointed here.

No comments: