06 December 2005

she's a believer




Happy St. Nicholas Day!



So I was inspired to write about our St. Nicholas experience this year. Thanks to This Full House for sharing your day (12.06.05)(see: "blogs I like" links) .

DD2 consistently writes notes to any magical beings who may or may not pay a visit. This includes the tooth fairy, santa, the easter bunny, & now St. Nicholas too. I think she does this to verify said creature's existence (or non-existence, as it were, if there was no response to read in the morning).

"Dear St. Nicholas, why do you use shoes? Aren't they stinky?...."

How to answer? How to answer? check out http://www.stnicholascenter.org/ for all your (or your child's) St. Nicholas questions.

Awake @ 6am & bounding down the steps to see what was in her shoe. Chocolates, candy cane, orange, small gift. Yikes! And didn't I forgot to write a response to her?!? I ran downstairs to retrieve the note from the t.v. room where I had left it the night b4 whilst wrapping; shoved it in my pocket; sprinted out the door to drive DD1 to the bus station. Whew. She didn't see it BUT she also didn't ask (nor did she have time as I whizzed by).

I asked DD1 to write the response so as to disguise the handwriting. Then I had a brilliant idea: write in German so as to further authenticate the note! Thank god my mom was home when DD1 called (no DD1 did not remember from 3 years of German how to translate what I wanted the note to say).

Home again, I handed DD2 the note, "Look what I found outside".
"Mom, it's in cursive. You read it to me"
"It's not cursive, it's a different language. I think it's German!"
Silence as she contemplates this turn of events.

While she's eating breakfast, I see her copying the response to her note. She wanted to take it to school to show her class. She didn't want to take the original in case it might be lost! Love it!!!!! (also cute -listening to her "read" the note, trying to pronounce German words that she's never seen nor heard).

Still a believer :) Yay!

1 comment:

Liz said...

Your welcome -- and thanks for sharing your thoughts and beautiful pics!

Best wishes from,

A Fellow Believer!!