23 December 2005

oh my

is what DD3 said when watching the Wizard of Oz for the first time & the flying monkey scene came on. "Oh my!!!" It's also what I said when I realized I haven't posted in so long. It's not that I don't want to. You see, I've had this problem with getting sucked into the internet abyss when I log on. I've been avoiding the computer & voila! a huge improvement in production in the rest of my life. That being said, I now realize why it is that I relish my time lost in the void: With no escape, my day is neverending from the time I get up until I drop in the wee hours. I'm talking non-stop house & kid type work. It's menial. It's maddening. It's Exhausting. I NEED the escape that the computer/internet provides. I'd surely go 'round the bend w/o it. Not to say that I wasn't already there to begin w/. But you see what I mean. I can't get AWAY literally. So I have to get away while still being present enough to prevent catasrophes in my home. And it's as close as I get to adult "conversation" for many days. Sad but true. I mean, other than conversations w/ G which center mostly around kids, sports, t.v. & occasional politics (when we don't discuss party matters). The internet provides at the least SOME kind of stimulation for the gray matter.

Speaking of catastrophes here comes a crying DD3 after screams emmanate from the t.v. room. She tries to explain what's wrong between sobs while I hold her. BUT in her peripheral vision she spies something out of the ordinary on the table. Tears are instantly stopped as she cranes her head around as far as is humanly possible to see what that could be.... Down she slides & runs asap to to climb in the chair & play w/ COOKIE CUTTERS! It's the simple things in life. And see, here I was on the computer, present yet distracted & still able to prevent a melt down.

Now if I could only find a happy medium b/t time spent online & time to get everything else done. I've never been good @ that. It's all or nothing. I can become completely absorbed by a book & do nothing else until it's finished. Lately it's been xmas preparations. Next month G's parents are visiting from RI. Maybe I'll be consumed by a cleaning frenzy. Or not.

And now the kids have all realized that I am on the computer. My "secret" hiding spot is not so secret anymore. I like to pretend like DD4 does that when I can't see them, they can't see me. Well, I've been seen (not hard to miss in the middle of the reading room) & now they are clamboring for my attention. I think the computer is like the telephone in that respect. Or even like cooking. Or like anything that occupies my time that is not attention paid directly at the kids. The can't leave me alone for 2 minutes. They must climb in my lap hang on my leg ask a kazillion questions pull my arm mommy mommy mommy mommy. Fine. Xmas prep is calling from the next room too. FINE. I guess it was time to say adieu anyway. Ah, that happy medium b/t time spent online & time spent in reality.

No comments: