26 February 2006

friend

I got a call last night from my good friend Jenna whom I met @ CU. She moved back to Chicago a while ago & we talk periodically -not nearly enough. I haven't physically seen her since she moved & I miss her dearly. The funny thing is, Maddie answered the phone & I didn't see the caller i.d. BUT as soon as I heard her voice, I knew it was Jenna. Are you fortunate enough to have friends like that? You know, the kind where you don't speak for long periods of time, but when you do, it's like no time has passed whatsoever? The kind of friends whose voices are like "home" -comfortable, familiar, welcoming. It's hard to explain. I'm truly blessed to have a few more than one friend like that.

I was talking to my brother the other day about his dislike for electronic communication because all the humanity is missing. I disagree simply b/c I have those few good friends whose voices resonate in my mind -whose voices I can hear as I'm reading their emails. I have one or two friends with whom I haven't spoken in years. I miss them too. Electronic communications will have to suffice for now. I'll take that over no communication any day. At least I can still hear their voices -even if it is only in my memory.

No comments: