07 March 2006

what a relief & oscars

Did anyone else catch Matthew McConaughey on Leno last night? I was greatly relieved to see that he was NOT wearing those veneers that he was sporting in his last couple flicks. They're just a tad too bright & too big. Maybe they are intentionally that way for those particular roles. They just don't fit w/ a guy who seems so down to earth.

And I did NOT watch the oscars. I like the golden globes better. I was just as shocked to see that Crash won over Brokeback Mountain. Or even the Constant Gardner. Or Walk the Line. Don't get me wrong; Crash was a good flick, thought provoking, etc. But I was so despondant when it was over, I had to watch something mundanely comedic (like Best Damn) in order to "unwind" & be able to go to sleep. I mean, I walked away thinking "is that all we are? Pathetic humans? No hope?" It was highly discouraging. So okay, it did arouse strong emotions, but I can't say that I ever want to watch it again b/c I felt so "icky" afterwards. Brokeback was thought provoking and visually pleasing (cinematography as well as the actors, foo!)
And I would watch it again b/c it was a great love story. The Constant Gardener was similarly thought provoking in it's content as well as its cinematography. And at the end, I felt compelled to do something pro-active. Walk the Line was entertaining with excellent performances & soundtrack & a great love story. But Crash left me sad & hopeless. Must have been appealing to the panel. The roles were no stretch for most of the actors & I found the performances quite mediocre except for Thandy Newton's. When are the SAG awards or have I already missed them? I'm interested to see how those turn(ed) out.

1 comment:

G money said...

It was all thanks to the marketing. The studio mailed a DVD copy to every person connected to the Oscars in hopes of reaching any and all voters. What a cheap vote, free DVD = Oscar vote. I agree that all the other movies were more fullfilling on several levels. I am glad that 'Bareback Mountain' did not win, but I would have preferred 'Walk the Line' or 'Constant Gardener'. I guess something has to be said for managing all that talent and ego into one film. 'Crash' had an all-star caliber team of actors. But so depressing!