02 June 2006

re: a Batman comment

I fell asleep the first time I saw it too...but it was on a 7 in screen on the plane & I was heavily sedated. (I fell asleep during the 1st 15 mins of Harry Potter IV without sedation & in a theatre). Perhaps you're looking at it in the wrong light; it is a comic book & was well translated as such onto the large screen. (This is what allowed me to objectively view & actually appreciate "Constantine" with *gag* Keanu Reeves). Albeit Sin City is by far the BEST attempt at converting a comic to a movie, this Batman was a brilliant adaptation, I thought. Bruce Wayne was portrayed as being the bratty billionaire (which, not to type-cast Christian Bale, but he does play so well as evidenced in American Psycho) with the dark past (excellent character development) who has the flip side do-good mystery persona. I love how Bale replicated Batman's voice to be so very similar to how M. Keaton had originally done. The sole major female role was simple & fairly unimportant, as she should be & who better to portray her but Katie Holmes of the easily expended acting career (thank god there are some actresses out there who do not feel the need to succumb to the public's perception of perfection; it was nice to see teeth that are not overcorrected)

As I have since watched the flick again, I have to change my opinion about the archrivals. They are indeed stock comic book characters with roles onscreen that are just "enough" without going over the top.

No comments: