24 September 2006

home sweet home?

I was away to PGH last week. Wednesday to Monday actually. By myself. No kids. No G. Just me. My very first plane ride alone -ever! and I survived to tell about it. It was relaxing even. I always have been a fan of benzos. And without kiddos, I actually get to sleep deeply. So the first night I got to partake in a Wednesday evening ritual that started shortly after I moved to CO. Dinner @ Joe & Kim's. I was tired from not falling asleep until 3am & waking @ 6am. But it was fun & little things like that make me wish I could move back -the laid back camaraderie & sharing food kind of little things.

Thursday was wedding gift shopping and dinner with the girls at Fatheads. I see it is aptly named not just for the jock types who hang at the bar but also for the sandwiches which are large enough to feed a small family. Then I met up w/ a friend whom I haven't seen in at least 11 years. Then the attempt to get next tattoo on paper; no dice so a few more beers instead with Chris & Sean. God how I miss my friends. And to buy a Guinness for $3. Bargain for a gal used to paying upwards of $6. First to Dee's which was THE hangout when I last lived in PGH. It's the same but different. Then on to The Smiling Moose which is apparantly the new improved hangout now. Am I getting old if I think the dj plays the music so loud I want to sit far away from the music? And you can still smoke in PGH in bars. I had forgotten about the smell of smoke all over everything at the end of the night.

Did I mention that I had picked up desserts from Moio's? I've been looking for a decent Italian bakery in Denver for 10 long years to no avail. The occasional trip to Moio's will have to suffice. And maybe that's a good thing that Moio's is 1500 miles away. I'd be fairly large now if I could indulge in that more often.

Friday morning was slated as helping a little at the reception hall. So at least I got to help a little since I couldn't be around to help for much anything else leading up to the wedding. Then Angela & I went for lunch & to have our nails done. Ang & I don't get to hang out very much by ourselves so this was a rare & fabulous treat. And I got to visit a little bit w/ Angela'a mom & brother after. He has turned out to be quite the handsome THIRTY year old. That is about the only thing that really makes me feel old. Knowing that Angela's brothers are in their 30's. Weren't they like 9 & 11 last year? omg.

Then I went shopping for wedding clothes, etc. at the Pittsburgh Mills Mall which I couldn't stop calling the Colorado Mills. I was going to watch a Pirates game but heard nothing from the friend who was going to go with me. Luckily I hadn't bought tix in advance. And no I didn't want to go alone. Although, in retrospect, I kind of wish that I had considering the Bucs manhandled the Mets for the whole 4 game stand that weekend.

Saturday was the wedding but first I had an easy peasy ride w/ Sean on his new(?) Triumph. And lunch. And then I was reminded that there are parts of PGH that I don't miss. Like the North Side hasn't changed except for the worse since I lived there 20ish years ago. Sad. (well, there are some improvements -like the stadiums, and "the north shore", etc.) But East Ohio St. and North Ave are just ghetto as ever.

Then the wedding of the decade. I had to leave the bride's room b/c I started crying and I didn't want to infect anyone else with my melancholy and nostalgia. Beautiful ceremony. And then the reception which was a little like a reunion for me b/c I got to visit with so many people that I haven't seen in ages. Delish & fun. And a chocolate bar! And Barbara's famous & the most delicious cake in the world. And a cookie table to be envied by the worlds' most reknowned bakers. And then the Jager shots just like old times with just a little dancing.

Sunday I spent with my parents. Just me. and my parents. I don't think that's happened since I can't remember when. Probably when I was at AIP. That's, oh, 18 or 20 years ago. I mean, BOTH of my parents & just me. We went to the Warhol Museum. You know, it's small enough to make me think that we could see it all in one day. But there's enough to see that it would be better enjoyed over a couple days. Oh and we had Primanti's for lunch -since I didn't get any in June. My dad for the first time and I think he liked it! It's the same but much cleaner on a Sunday afternoon instead of a Saturday 2am.

Denise & John hosted a little get together @ their house for the first time as a married couple. More cake & cookies everyone? It was kind of cool to see Denise in her own kitchen doing some kitchen-y things. And what a home it is. Simply beautiful on a private drive up a big hill -"Keppel Mountain"- sitting on 10 acres or so(?).

So all in all I have to say it was the BEST vacation I have ever had. Every day was jam packed yet it was relaxing & I got to do everything I set out to do (except the bucs' game). Seriously folks. The best. It ranks right up there with Grace coming to visit me (which falls short b/c I didn't leave home for that). I got to be an adult (not a "mom") for a whole 5 days. Something I have rarely done other than that trip to Paris. And a few yearly jaunts to Florida when Nikki was wee little. And it was FUN! And no stress of dealing with a significant other -which, admit it, can be a stressful factor on any occasion. Just me and my buds & my folks.

And now I'm terribly homesick. More so than I have ever been before in my life. Maybe I'm getting old & waxing nostalgic. Maybe I see what kind of family life my kids are missing out on by being 1500 miles away. Maybe I like CO for the weather & the views (and the activities that I can't afford to participate in) but that's not holding much water these days in comparison to family & friend relations. But that's a whole other post. For now, I will relish the memories.

No comments: