02 December 2007

it's a girl thing

Another Lib story. She is patiently impatiently waiting for her hair to grow. I took her to get her hair trimmed a few weeks ago, b/c it was looking a little scraggly. The beautician (cosmetologist? stylist?) snipped just the very very tips & then cleaned up Lib's bangs so she could see clearly again. When she looked into the mirror (stylist & I thought Lib looked great...the other women in the salon thought she was the cutest), Lib burst into tears. Big, loud tears. I asked what was wrong & she said she wanted more cut off. So the stylist commenced to making the bangs shorter. Not a big deal: I've always been a fan of short bangs on girls. Then Lib was crying even louder. I assured the stylist that Lib looked great & really it wasn't the cut that she was crying about (the stylist was really young -like Snick's age- and was genuinely concerned about what was wrong, what did she do, how could she fix it). As we walked out of the salon, Lib told me between sniffles, "my hair doesn't look like FiFi's." I tried to explain that probably never in her life will her hair ever look like Fi's; Fi has very fine hair & Lib's is thick (& very cowlicky). I got the distinct feeling, though, that what Lib meant was that her hair wasn't somehow magically transformed into a longer style -like Fi's- when it was cut. Oh, if only it were that easy.

Yesterday, I witnessed her new method of measuring the length of her hair -stretching the side strands (just barely) into her mouth: "my hair is getting so long now, isn't it mommy, because I can do this."

No comments: