20 July 2006

new ink at my other blog

I just don't feel like posting the pictures 2X. So look there if you're curious.

As to tattoos, I was just reminiscing tonight about my very first inspiration for tattoos. I was really little, like b4 school age it had to've been. I remember seeing this man with tattoos on his arms at a local carnival. So most likely he was a carny is my guess. And most likely they were the all black/blue tats of old -I remember them as black. I mean, this was around 1970 or so; you know, they were that kind of tattoo -the hard india ink kind, the not pretty like today's tattoos can be kind. I can almost remember the exact moment -kind of like when you can't quite remember a word & it's on the tip of your tongue -that's how that memory is for me -when I decided that one day I too would like to have tattoos. I was awestruck. Can't imagine what my mom's reaction was or if I even told her. Or did I ask her about that man & his tattoos & what was her response?

Can't say that I remember giving it much thought after that. But for my 20th bday, I had my first tattoo done by Craig at Island Ave. Tattoo in McKees Rocks. (glad to see he looks healthy & is doing well!) I had to hitch a ride there and I was way nervous; hell, I was a 20 yo art institute student/metal head, lived in rural western PA all my life. But I went back for my appointment & have never regretted it since (other than the bad trip one night after my brother had told me I'd go to hell for having a tattoo. Freak. Like he even remotely resembled some bible thumper. As I recall he got his first tattoo shortly thereafter.)

A few times in the first couple weeks I jumped when I caught a glimpse of it in the mirror b/c it looked like a big black something on my shoulder. The sad thing is I can never see it looking straight on. It's always backwards to me. And I have always loved the twist that Craig drew in a penis. For a kind of spontaneous yet planned all my life moment, it was definitely a good & memorable experience. My best friend Laurie & I were the only ones in the shop the whole time so it wasn't like grand central. Hmmm, actually tattoos were still pretty underground at the time. Case in point,I remember some biker dudes in there when I made my appointment & I totally felt out of my element. It wasn't like everyone & their mother had tattoos at that time. I was originally looking at getting a dragon of sorts & I remember Craig chastising me "you don't want puff the magic dragon on your back for the rest of your life, do you?" So I went with something a little more exotic -a griffin. A pack of smokes shared between me & Laurie & $80 lighter, I walked out with the ink for which I had waited 15+ years.

I had to ask my sister to put ointment on it when I visited the folks later that week b/c I couldn't reach it & I didn't dare tell my parents. God forbid. They never have said squat to me about any of my tattoos. Of course they never said anything about the mohawk & other various shaven hair styles I've worn. Or any of my piercings. Or the docs & biker jacket. (still one of my prized possessions) Why did I think they'd spaz about a tattoo?? Either they're way cooler than I ever gave them credit for, or they just keep their opinions to themselves, which is in itself cool too.

And that is my first tattoo story. There are 3 others not including the latest.

to be continued...?

No comments: