11 August 2006

I watched this last night

And now I feel a need to make an addendum to my previous post re: Metallica.

So they were at the forefront of the thrash metal scene & brought it mainstream, so to speak. I never was the kind of person to say that they sold out because they made a ton of money; more power to them -it's what capitalism's all about. BUT it was the Black Album that made them more accessible to a wider audience b/c they changed their style to be radio friendly. Unfortunately that involved going "softer". Granted they still put forth some political views -but it was in a toned down musical style. And that was a disappointing sell-out. It was Metallica's hard driving thrash style that endeared them to me. It was the wimpy Black Album that drove me away...they finally had a ballad. A ballad. Metallica. Sigh.

Further still was the next CD, Load...the one I didn't even waste my money on b/c they wanted to get "bluesy" and hard rockish. Well I say, leave the blues to those who are truly talented in that area. It's not everyone who can pull that off. And leave the "hard" rock to those who can't live up to Metallica. It was like a watered down version of Metallica. A band who wanted to be like Metallica but couldn't b/c they just weren't that talented.

Then they started wearing eye makeup. Another thing that endeared Metallica to me -they were all testosterone. I can live with short hair. But eyeliner just does not belong on a thrash metal band. Well fine, it's true, they weren't thrash metal anymore. What exactly were they? What happened to my favorite band?? Who are these guys? Good, I suppose that they wanted to change it up a bit. But I'm just not feelin' it anymore. I think they were finally following instead of leading the pack at this point (for instance, Ozzy's been wearing eyeliner since dirt was invented.) why oh why oh why.

I think I'll stop now b4 I get all melancholy.

No comments: