07 August 2006

results posted when I find them online

Madster & I ran our first 5K yesterday. I had originally registered myself -an unsuccessful attempt at motivating myself to get back outside in the early a.m. While picking up my registration materials on Sat, Mad requested that she would like to run with me as a mother/daughter team. Hence we were "Team Corbett". She had her new running shoes, after all, which would help her to run faster.

We woke at 6am -all of us- & G made his scrummy Irish oatmeal. We were out the door by 7:17am. The atmosphere was very exciting in front of the capitol building as 700+ women were getting ready for the race. It was the RYKA Iron Girl event. run/walk 5k or 5mi. I can now cross that off my list of things to do in my life. Of course now I want to do it again & by myself in order to really gauge how well I can do...and do it again to decrease my time...and repeat over & over. It was a lot of fun. For me anyway.

Maddie started to poop out a bit after the 1st mile. She wanted to run really fast then almost stop completely as she walked slowly to catch her breath. I couldn't convince her to run a nice, easy pace throughout...what do I know, I'm only her mother. But other women kept giving her encouragement as they ran by. I'm really proud that she actually finished. She was a little concerned that we might not get a medal & she wasn't interested in running across the finish line...until she saw that everyone was getting medals, at which point she picked up her pace for the last 1/2 block. We finished in something like 54 minutes...yay! I was hoping to get across in less than an hour...and we did it! We enjoyed the catered breakfast & were home by 10 am. Would that we could do that everyday...hey, I can dream can't I?

This morning she was complaining how much her thighs hurt (lack of exercise, I told her) & that she never wants to walk 3 miles again. We'll see about that. Maybe she'll change her mind & we can run the Iron Girl every year. And maybe Fi & Lib will join us when they're old enough. I look forward to it.

No comments: