10 November 2006

thanks, Dad

It occurred to me that another reason election day has always been so important to me is because it's been a father/daughter bonding event. My dad watches governmental affairs the way other men watch sports. So b/c I enjoy sports & he doesn't, we never had sports to bond over (oh, he is well aware of the happenings in PGH sports, he's just not a "fan" of sports of any kind & doesn't spend time watching) like other kids would do with their dads. So we've always talked politics.

We have never even shared political views. Ever. Well, maybe when I was little; hence my early democratization. But then he switched parties on me. And then I decided to not roll with either of the popular parties. But we can still talk reasonably; we don't argue, we discuss. Until my brother jumps in. He's so far left, he's right. And of course he won't admit that. I think my sister leans more toward my dad's view, but I'm not too sure; we've never really talked about it! And I would describe my mom as a "conservative pacifist". We are an eclectic mix which makes for lively family dinners, at the very least. And forget discussing w/ G. He & I are at polar opposites. We can spend about 10 civil minutes on politics before either one of us gets frustrated & has to walk away. So I really enjoy the time I get to spend talking politics with my dad.

Thanks, Dad, for instilling in me a sense of patriotism & civil pride & a lifelong appreciation of governmental politics.

No comments: