25 April 2007

Edward Scissorhands

It was (actually!) really good. I found out after I purchased the tix that there was no dialogue. I worried that maybe Madster wouldn't like it. It was a surprise, see, & all I told her was that we were doing something on Sat. afternoon together -just she & I. We took light rail downtown & that was exciting in & of itself. We felt so "metropolitan". hahahaha. I told her where we were getting off. Every stop "is this our stop, mom?" When we exited at the DCPA she realized we were going to a show. When she saw the posters as we got closer to the theatre, the jig was up. She was very excited & we bought cool t-shirts instead of a program -she proudly put hers on when we got to our seats. The show started a few minutes late & Mad was getting really impatient b/c we had arrived 30 minutes early. "oh, I get it. This is what we came here for" (meaning viewing the curtain with Edward Scissorhands superimposed in lights & listening to the industrial sounding background pre prelude.) Miss Smarty Pants.

The production itself was all dance & instrumental music. There wasn't a dull moment; in fact there were some scenes where there was so much going on that I couldn't see everything. Like I would watch one thing & see out of the corner of my eye something equally entertaining. It was quirky & witty. And without words! And sad. but happy. Pretty much true to the original movie with a few added touches.

You should see it if you have the opportunity!

Maddie was also impressed with the handfuls of goths & punks in the audience & outside the theatre. Not something that she sees everyday here in our semi suburban urban community.

We walked the length of the 16th Street Mall looking for something to eat. We finally settled on Johnny Rockets since we had never eaten there b4. (Gunther Toody's is better.) Then home again, home again, jiggety jig.

Next is Wicked. Then The Little Mermaid. I'd forgotten how much I miss live theatre.

1 comment:

renee said...

I'm glad you liked the show. Weren't the costumes just incredible?

BTW, with this barrage of advertising for Denver around here, I need to ask you what or who some of this stuff is. I've got the term "LoDo" in my brain forever, now, though.