20 March 2008

the coolest 9 year old you'll ever meet

or what to do when insomnia kicks in & even if it hadn't, listening to a certain someone's sleep apnea would certainly prevent any hope of shut eye anytime soon.

Some snaps from St. Pat's night. First notice the one sock on, one sock off look that she sports on a regular basis. I think it's a sensory thing. She was the little kid who couldn't stand tags on her shirts & socks with seams. Loud noises would send her cowering under the desk.

Next notice that Madster's been doing funky head wrap experiments. This is one -that day's t-shirt not yet removed over her head but tied in the back in some elaborate manner to keep it tight. Tonight she had done something the same but different. During the day she's been using a viscose scarf (the blue one I purchased from a street vendor in Paris) ('cuz it's from PARIS & she is actually allowed to wear it to school).

She's been fascinated with making little movies on my camera. Mostly soliloquies & self portrayals, but absolutely fun to watch. I'll have to try to get some footage on here for yinz to check out. And she's just the past week taken to writing on herself at school. I think she's bored. I know she's bored, hence her self-admitted inability to pay attention in class.






Mad's also in the talent show tomorrow. 1:30pm she finally admitted. You'll never guess what she's doing. Never. Give up? Playing the congas. Seriously. She's recently been reacquainting herself with the magic of Bob Marley. Remember when she went through that phase when she was about 2 or 3? Right around the time that she proclaimed herself to be a "Beastie Girl". Anywho. The congas. I think she's playing "Three Little Birds". And you didn't believe me that she was the coolest. Or maybe eccentric is a better "definition". Right, I know, they're all cool in their own ways. I just love that she has the cajones to enter the talent show & play the congas. I love it. She is still mostly untainted by peer pressure & self-doubt.

Oh, and she's really been digging "The Daring Book for Girls" that I picked up at the library for her last week. However, she came home today & stated that "The Dangerous Book for Boys" is better because it shows how to break a phone book in two. (?????!!!!!????)

On a sad note, she took Polly in to school today to show her art teacher. She's been looking forward to doing this for over a week (they only have art every other week). Her teacher saw her coming with Polly & told her "No stuffed animals in school. Take it to your locker" (They had a lice problem at school with some students a few weeks ago & have since banned all stuffed animals). She wouldn't even let Maddie explain. Yeah, really. Talk about disappointing. You should have seen her face when she told me what happened. And yes, I will be emailing that teacher.

Wouldn't ya just like to slap some people some times? Hello! Wake up! Here's a kid who's so freaking creative but gets no recognition for it at school. I'm telling you, G thinks going to another school would be bad idea because another school might teach to the lower eschelon instead of encouraging kids to excel. This is a great school, I know, but I think it's not been a good match for a non-conformist like Madster. I know Maddie dumbs herself down because she's not at all competitive (unlike ultra-competitive sister Fi). When her earlier efforts went unnoticed, she gave up on being a "star" pupil. She's changed a lot since first starting at this school. She was also the child who was TEACHING HERSELF Spanish at the age of 3 -from a CD-rom game! And remember how she used to make friends wherever she went -at the laundromat, at the park, anywhere she could find kids her age.

I can't stand that most schools only recognize certain kinds of intelligence -i.e. math & reading. Reading is her strong suit between the two subjects. But I think I need to find an art magnet school. Or a science magnet school. There must be such a beast. Of course, she only has 1 year left. And 1st round choice ended on 31 January. Oh, and don't even get me started about that right now. I'll never get to sleep. Remind me tomorrow to tell you about that fiasco. I'll have to start some research now to prepare for middle school choice next year.

No comments: