14 May 2008

Don't hate me for my opinions

I've had a few thoughts whilst tuning into the Red Wings games, checking up on the next opponent, if you will. The line of thought ran something like this: watching the Pens play compared to the Red Wings playing is like watching boys -albeit very talented boys- play compared to watching a team of men play. The youth of the Pens is exciting, though, because you know they're only going to get better, explosively better, unbeatably better. It's like the Red Wings are already there.


BUT before you abuse me with your dissenting view, it also occurred to me that the Pens are currently playing the mucker Flyers & so the Pens' talent is mired in that lower level of hockey. You know the old adage, "It's hard to soar like an eagle when your flying with turkeys". That's what it's like watching this "Cold War of PA". G thinks I shouldn't want the Red Wings to win & play the Pens in the finals because the Pens have no chance of winning. I honestly believe that the Pens have the ability to play to whatever level their opponents are playing.

G tried to make excuses for the Flyers when I complained about how mismatched the teams looked last night. I said it was obvious that there was a 1st place team & a 6th place team playing. G said it was because the Flyers had their two best players out. I responded that it's their two best defensemen. What about their scorers? I mean, c'mon, that reason might be why the Pens totally dominated offensively, but Fleury was hardly getting a workout on the other end. And that sucks, because he's gonna need more practice before meeting the Red Wings.

So, I'm looking forward to seeing the raw talent on the ice in the finals between the Pens & the Red Wings, not fearing it at all. It'll be a higher level of playing, exciting, high scoring, faster moving -exactly how the Stanley Cup should be earned.

Oh, and I think Malkin is a far stronger, better-all-around player than Snick's future husband Crosby.

And congrats to the Flyers' Umberger! The first Pittsburgh native to get this far in the Stanley Cup playoffs!!

No comments: