13 October 2008

and still more

so Maddie asked to do the dishes when she came home from school (there were none). And again when she came home from choir (we hadn't eaten dinner yet). She didn't get to do the dishes after dinner b/c it was too late; but she asked if she could wake up early & wash them before school. Wow. Pretty darn amazing, isn't it?

And more amazing? Feefer read me "Green Eggs and Ham" tonight. Well, mostly. I'll bet, though, that she'll be reading on her own by Christmas. fo' sho'. Lib won't be far behind.

Have I told you how amazing this new school is for the girls? I've told everybody else -including the three teachers & the principal. This has been the best school experience we've had with Maddie since Kindergarten! I kid you not. Are you sure I haven't told you? Mad's doing her homework. Every day. With no complaints! And turning her homework in! And the graded papers I've seen have been mostly 90% and above with a few high 80's thrown in. I'm truly grateful. I mean, I always knew she was a smart kid. But for some reason, sadly, she hasn't since Kindergarten had a teacher who was concerned whether or not she was actually understanding the work, or handing the work in. Weird, huh? Isn't that the teacher's job? I mean, especially in elementary school? She complained that the new teacher was "too strict"; I told her that the teacher wasn't there to be her friend, but to make sure she was getting an education & to help her learn to be a good student with good study skills. FINALLY! It's sinking in. She no longer thinks her teacher is too strict. It must just have been a "getting used to doing things differently" period. Did I mention how much I love this school?

Feefer & Lib are also thriving. Tonight Lib was painting & says aloud "Now I'm going to paint with primary colors". What four year old says that? Yes, school has become Lib's favorite place -really, even more so than home. "I hate home. I only love school." Well, that was after she had to leave Lindsay & Trev's house one day this past week. And Feefer is up & ready for school usually before anyone else.
I've already told you about her wanting so badly to read. And she walks around quoting a bit of the school motto, "we stop when someone says stop. Because that's who we are, even when no one is watching." And Lib likes the character trait she's learned: "Treat others the way you want to be treated" -with hand motions to go with. Fi's learned that one too -but without the hand motions. Did I mention how much I love this school? And they do the Pledge of Allegiance. As in, everyone stops what they're doing -even in the halls & the office- and pledge.

You can't even imagine how grateful I am that we've moved to this school. And it's only been 2 months. Two months & already it's better than 4 years at Cory. Seriously. And to think that Cory is rated "excellent" because of their CSAP scores. AND they got a write-up in 5280 as one of the best public elementary schools in Denver. Bull Crap. That's what I've got to say about that. CSAP means nothing to me -other than kids are prepped on how to take a standardized test -and boy are they ever at Cory. It seemed to me that way too much of the time was spent in CSAP preparation. Two months in and I have yet to see Maddie bring home anything resembling CSAP prep. Another reason for the 5280 mention? Cory raised $96,000 at their school auction this past year. So OF COURSE they look like they've got an involved PTA, etc. So they can afford to buy a new computer lab, etc. But what about character development? And quality education? hmph. I'll take lower CSAPs and a smaller budget any day if my kids can have those last two items that Cory is missing. I'll say it again, I LOVE our new school!!

No comments: