06 July 2009

the largest nightcrawler I've ever seen, year 2

The largest nightcrawler continues to grow fatter & longer on our compost.

And why is it that my previous post about said nightcrawler under the title "the largest nightcrawler I've ever seen" gets more hits from Google than regular visitors to my blog? Folks from all over the world must be really interested in finding sizable nightcrawler pictures online, no?

He (are worms male or female or nonsexual or what? I'll say "he" for the sake of the phallic nature of worms) was about 12" when I found him stretched out crawling on the ground. (Wait, worms don't "crawl". Inching? Worming? What is it called, how they get around?) Of course when I tried to pick him up he was all "retreat retreat!" & shrank up for protection (see, phallic, right?). So these shots don't really do him justice. Just how big will he be next year? Do worms have definite lifespans? How old can they live? Just curious. FYI, I hold my breath when I turn the compost, hoping I don't spear the little guy with the pitchfork. That would be tragic & I think I'd be a little sad. Hmmm, except don't worms regenerate when cut in half? (or is that an urban legend?)


Last year


this year




he's a fast little bugger for a worm

2 comments:

Chloe m said...

How did I miss this post? I love it! He's a big one. What ever happened to him/her?

rockymtmama said...

I swear this & the original post "largest nightcrawler I've ever seen" (he was smaller last year, so I HAD to post this year again) get the MOST hits from google to my site. Bizarre. People look up nightcrawlers??