18 July 2009

Maddie's bday 2009

First we celebrated on her actual birthday while we were in Spain. She was quite concerned that it would be a horrible day because she wouldn't get a "real" birthday. Tell me what you think? Was it a horrible day?

Her birthday this year was on a Sunday. The plan was to first go to El Rastro -the biggest (so I read) flea market in Europe. I didn't get as many pictures as I could have because I was too busy shopping! It was huge & fun!




interesting name for clothing store?


The flea market stretched down all these alleys & streets; I couldn't get one comprehensive picture, but if you click to enlarge this one, you get an idea of what I mean.










reminded me of "Transfomers"











ornate iron work








oh lovely art deco


front facade of our hotel in the daytime




When we arrived back at our hotel, we found this lovely confection in our room, complete with "11" candles. Along with an ice bucket filled with champagne & 3 milks. "Compliments of the hotel manager"! How kind!!






After cake, we went to the world renowned El Prado for a couple hours. Free on Sundays! and it was just across the street from our hotel.


On our stroll to the museum, we saw street performers

this cool souvenir store


this church on the hill above el Prado





this side entrance at least had a sign notating where we were; the main entrance did not


this awesome statue











Pressies at home. (goodies I found at Japantown in San Francisco for her!) She had to look up the Kanji b/c I didn't know the exact translation. So far she's figured out "______ Sweet Home"


The M.A.C. lippie, she already knew about, was from Macy's here


a phone charm for her new cell. (turns out the phone she got, sadly, doesn't have a notch for the charm)

2 comments:

Chloe m said...

I think Maddie is pretty lucky!
And the store name? I think that would fit right in in Colorado, don't you think?
Rosey

BammerKT said...

Oh what a wonderful birthday! i bet she will look back on it as one of the best, and most interesting of her life!

also: as soon as your playlist started I realized that I want to marry you!