24 November 2005

throw out that timer!

I cooked the stuffing separate from the turkey -to expedite the roasting process as well as to cut down on some fat calories. Taking a cue from Alton Brown's book "I'm Just Here for the Food", I cooked the bird @ 500 for 30 mins. Lowered temp to 350. Put in the digital thermometer -one of the all time greatest cooking gadgets- and cooked until 161 in the thickest part of the breast. The 18 lb turkey took all of maybe 3 hours to cook through! And OMG!!! I believe it was the best roasted turkey I personally have ever made. Definitely the juiciest! Not one dry morsel. I'm telling you, the digital thermometer is the way to go.

So after slaving in the kitchen all day preparing everything (the bird was the least of the action), I finally get a chance to sit down & reflect on what I'm thankful for:
this house with an oven that is normal size & temperature
delicious food
good company
garrett changing diapers most of the day
garrett getting the girls to bed despite their protests
family -even though we don't all keep in contact so often
friends who are considered family
vacations -long or short-near or far
a good dog who is only naughty when she's bored
good health & my gym membership
front range weather
a glass of fine wine

No comments: