08 April 2006

a few minutes to spare

I've been going through withdrawal from writing here. I've started a new job @ JoAnn Fabric -pt nights & weekends. It gets me out of the house & back into a work state of mind. It's almost like therapy for me. If you know me, you know that my last job was a dream come true which turned out to be my worst nightmare. I never did seek professional therapy to get over it -as did many of my former co-workers. Yes, you read that correctly, therapy to deal w/ the psychological b.s. we went through. So this job is helping me to re-learn that not all places of business are run by lunatics. I also get a small discount which is never a bad thing for someone who spends inordinate amounts of money on crafts. That said, I do work my ass off for my meager wage & the hours I get aren't steady (23 this week, 5 next week). I may be looking for another job soon.

I was going to start training for roller derby on Thursday. This was also to be therapeutic for me - a way to release my stress. I didn't make it to practice this week; it seems I have too many demands on my time right now. I'm not happy about it. If I had an anonymous blog I might divulge more.

I was afraid to check my bank statement online after our trip to London. And rightly so. I wasn't completely broke. But it sucked larger amounts of money out than what I had calculated. I figured I'd halve the sterling amount & then triple that to get the US amount. That was underestimating everything. I about had a heart attack when I saw the numbers. I took 100 quid out of the ATM & it cost me $174 & some change. Dinner @ Wagamama beneath Harvey Nic's was $55 FOR TWO PEOPLE. It's a friggin' japanese noodle place for god's sakes. Granted it's got the "prestigious" location, but wtf. We can feed our whole family of 6 @ Kokoro here for that amount. And lunch was $36. For fish & chips, bangers & mash, a coke & a bottled water. At a little place called "Digress" which looks to be either a nightclub or used to be. The food was delicious, I will say that. If I remember correctly, it was initially 22 pounds sterling. Thank god I decided against having my hair done in Covent Gardens. I can't even imagine what that might have cost in the end. How the heck can ANYONE afford to live there?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder if the VAT tax is what jacks up the price. And is that the price of belonging to the EU? And to what end? I mean, if there is 17.5% tax on everything -except kids clothes (& maybe not on grocery food??) and books. That's a serious price increase. Whew. Makes me think twice about grumbling about 8% tax in Broomfield. Of course, I just don't shop in Broomfield.

I lost my MP3 player somewhere on the trip. I think I may have left it on the plane in my adavan stupor. I swear I had it though. C'est la vie. It was old & bulky & very confusing to load. SO, I bought myself a new one to relieve some of my stress (damn, why didn't I make this an anonymous blog). A little shopping therapy. Haven't done that in a long time. I got a Zen Nano Plus . And I'm liking it alot. it's about the size of a 16 pack of gum. And about that light. So far, the only thing I don't like is that the music I try to load that's already on my computer comes up in alphabetical order. I'm sure there's a way around it. Will find that detour soon. The sound is wonderful. It has FM radio. The earbuds aren't as bad as the reviews I read. It was only $100 at Circuit City. I'm glad I didn't get sucked into the ipod whirlpool.

No comments: