23 April 2006

jumped the shark

I am so finished with CSI -in any city. It was soooooo entertaining even until last season. All the high tech gadgets, the interesting crimes, and every crime is solved by the end of an hour. AND there was little to no continuous storyline that had to be followed so closely that an episode couldn't be missed. I could (un)happily miss a few weeks and never feel like I was missing something crucial to the show. Albeit I have never really liked Miami b/c H has the personality of an ant. Is this purposeful or is it the acting ability of David Caruso? And he's got the corniest one-liners I've ever heard (at least on The Shield the one-liners are humorous) which he delivers with absolutely zero facial expression. I was highly doubtful of NY's ability to deliver a pleasing show with Gary Sinese in the lead...much to my surprise the series turned out to be quite good & Sinese portrays his character well and with skill.

So as the crime scene spins, Miami turned out to be OKAY with the most soap opera qualities (which makes me not want to watch). NY has by far the goriest details. Vegas was still my favorite. Super high tech. Characters (or actors) whose personalities work well together on-screen. Near weekly twists in the plots.

So why the long face now? I think it was Vegas' season finale last year w/ the Tarantino action scene (which I was initially looking forward to -until it aired & it was entirely out of sync with the rest of the season) and Nick's burial with the ants being broadcast online for the crime lab to watch. It was bizarre & so very unbelievable. And now the scripts have all become formulaic to the extent where it's so obvious who the perp is (EVERY episode has the suspect saying "prove it" after which each crime lab does so...boring. why even bother watching if there is no intrigue??!!) Plus there is more and more continuous storyline. If I want to watch a soap opera, I'll watch the Sopranos.

Last week was the last straw: First, Miami has a freakin' tidal wave; then Vegas has the Barkers ?!?!?!?! as guest stars; and next week NY will guest star Kid Rock. It's all a little much. (Although NY's cliffhanger ending does make me want to tune in next week). I could overlook the fact that the female investigators wore heels & designer clothes...on the job & in the field. And that EVERY crime is solved with the most incredibly unbelievable Bat toys. But I just can't waste my time any longer with the poor script & predictable plot. Booooooooring. So sad, but I must cut the cord.

No comments: