18 June 2007

flashback

interesting tidbit:

Following the September 11th attacks, Clear Channel created a list of "songs with questionable lyrics"; RATM has the dubious distinction of being the only band to have all its songs on the list.

Right on. And what exactly does "questionable" mean? lyrics that "question" the US government? Lyrics that cause people to "question" the morality of an unchecked capitalism which only serves to keep a select few in power while the masses toil to survive? What state has the motto "give me freedom or give me death", btw? or what's the other one? "don't tread on me"? Potent phrases and quite meaningful way back in the day, if you think about it. Protesting a government that was doing us wrong. Fairly meaningless in today's society b/c "questioning" our esteemed leaders is unpatriotic, no matter how wrong they are. Bah. I'm way off on a tangent. & I'm starting to feel my blood boil, just thinking about it. Grrrrr.

the only time I had the privilege of seeing RATM was Lollapalooza '93 with this lineup:
Main Stage: Primus, Alice in Chains, Dinosaur Jr., Fishbone, Arrested Development, Front 242, Babes in Toyland, Rage Against the Machine

Side Stage: Tool, Sebadoh, Cell, Unrest, Mercury Rev, Mosquito, Free Kitten, Royal Trux, Tsunami, Mutabaruka, The Cocktails, Scrawl, Luscious Jackson, Genitorturers, Truly, Eggs, Girls Against Boys, Thurston Moore, Glue, Karl Hendrick's Trio, Hurl

For some reason I remember Tool being on the main stage. I could be wrong. Good show, Rage & Tool being my faves, Alice in Chains not bad too. I just remember we had seats towards the back of the amphitheatre near a hand railing & people from GA hoisting themselves up over the railing all around us in an effort to rush the stage. I was not in a rush the stage mood that day, so it was a little annoying.

I miss the energy of a large music festival. The last one I attended was probably Further Fest at what was then Fiddler's Green...& that gives you some idea as to how many years have passed since then. I went with my friend Sandy & Maddie was a babe in arms (we couldn't bring the backpack in.) Mad enjoyed the dancing, of course. We had to stay out in GA even though we had tickets for seats b/c the sound under the amphitheatre was too loud. Just as well, it was easier to dance. I do remember handing Mad off to Sandy briefly so I could at least check out our seats. They were decent seats, courtesy of B. I remember that when I showed up, his gfriend wasn't too happy & sat down pouting. Whatever.

I wouldn't mind seeing Projekt Revolution this year. It conflicts with the Snowmass Jazz Festival, though, which I would also like to see. hmmmm, Linkin Park? Allman's? Linkin Park? Allman's? decisions decisions....

1 comment:

renee said...

I totally forgot about that whole Clear Channel thing. So stupid!