21 June 2007

Happy Summer Solstice!

I can't believe that this day is already here. The longest day of the year. And now the days will get shorter. Already? I mean, c'mon, I was just getting used to the longer daylight hours. Starting tomorrow, we'll have less of them. In my ideal world, days would be longer like this for at least 3 months a year. -and don't say, "well, they are longer for 1/2 the year." That's not what I mean. Not growing longer for 6 months then shorter for 6 months. I want it to be 1/2 day & 1/2 night for 3 months. Maybe I should move to AK? No, I don't want full on daylight for months at a time, just a longer days with some night or some version of it. I remember when we were in Scotland on this day 8 years ago. We were in the Highlands staying Carbisdale Castle that had been converted for use as a hostel. It never got fully dark outside. It was like twilight all night long. The next night we were at a B&B on a little sheep croft in Keiss close to the north eastern shore. The husband & wife there said that they easily could work too late because of the extra daylight hours. I could go on, & maybe when I get out the pics & post them, I will. I didn't journal it, so it's all from memory. If there is any place in the world that I would love to visit again, it would be Scotland. We were there for a month & saw alot yet so little. We really had a great opportunity to live "locally" & get to know a bit about the place & people. I am truly grateful for that opportunity & for the friend who invited us to stay.

No comments: