29 December 2006

food stuff, etc

I totally forgot to snap the xmas bird. It was soooooooooooooooooo yum! It turned out really well. We have a new electric knife & it made a huge difference in the thickness of the white meat cuts. A couple days b4 xmas I saw this episode of The Barefoot Contessa; I decided to try the turkey & the spinach gratin. OMG! It was probably one of the best birds I've ever roasted (of course it helps that our oven works 100X better here than the one in the last house!). The spinach was like Boston Market but way better. We had sweet potato cassarole & stuffing w/ gravy. My stuffing probably wasn't any less fattening than if I had baked it inside the bird: I used pan drippings & butter to moisten it. But it was damn good. Gravy was a dry mix with 1/2 water & 1/2 pan drippings. Hey, it's only once a year, right?

Today's another snow-in day so we're making cookies. So far it's oatmeal raisin, m&m's, sugar crusted almonds (not cookies, technically, but a sweet treat nevertheless), & egg nog cookies. I also have on deck peppermint candy canes, rice crispy treats, peanut butter blossoms, buckeye's (again, a sweet-once-a-year treat), and maybe a re-attempt at the ginger snaps. Oh, another batch of stollen & my first attempt at nut rolls. Well, that's the big plan. We'll see how long this baking kick lasts. Not to mention, who's going to eat all this cookie goodness? I was baking some for the cookie exchange at work, but the store closed @ 5pm yesterday. That's another post, but long story short -that's 2 weeks in a row without a paid day and I've only had 3 & 2 days on the schedule respectively. Sucks to begin with. Sucks more when I get paid next week. Anywho, it will be me at home with all this "temptation" next week. Just when my resolutions kick in. Drat. I'm sure I can pawn the cookies off one way or another.

On another topic: I've been really looking forward to having podcasts to listen to. I suppose I could have listened all along on my computer (com-poooooo-tuuuuuurrrrrrrr, as Libby calls it). I have found this podcast "The Dead Show on KOPN 89.5 FM". It's just a weekly hour of dead music but OMG does it make me smile! Listening tonight was like stepping back in time for a brief but highly enjoyable hour. And then it was over, abruptly & all too soon. Sigh. Those were the days, weren't they? It's one thing that I would like to live over -again -and again -and again....

And the Libster got from her godmother Angela a doll that sings "I'm a little teapot" when you press it's belly. She loves it. She was very excited when she opened the package "look, I have a new dolly too!" She carries it everywhere & is constantly pushing it's belly. This evening she walked out of the play room & one of the doll's pigtails was out. And the doll had a hair cut. Lib had a new 'do as well. So much for her hair finally growing out. :P



where does the doll's hair end & Libster's begin? Guess she couldn't figure that one out either hahahahaha!

No comments: