16 December 2006

whoop! raise the roof!

Madster is on her very first snowboarding trip today! Alone! Well, not entirely. She's gone with an organization that picks kids up at various locations around the city. In a big coach bus. It's an all-day lesson. With the initial sticker shock from the investment in head-to-toe clothing (excluding coat, for now) came the worry that she may not even like the sport. Oh how I want her to like it, really really like it. "How can she not?" replied the REI clerk. How, indeed. I mean, I was so excited for her Thursay night that I couldn't sleep. I want to go I want to go I want to go I want to go I want to go!!! There is no other physical activity in the world that I would rather do. None. My body still remembers how exhilarating it feels, the way one's body retains certain memories -good and bad. The difference between my sleep last night & my sleep on nights before my own snow excursions?? I dreamt last night of driving Maddie to the drop off spot whereas seasons past I dreamt of making some turns down the mountain. Sigh.

Mad's excited that she is the only one out of her friends who snowboards. She was concerned that she might be the only girl. Or the only first-timer. I tried to give her a brief verbal explanation with some physical modeling on the dynamics of snowboarding (e.g. stopping on one's heels, snowboard will go where one looks, what happens if one goes both toes forward, it's all about one's center of gravity, etc). She was really curious & the instructions made sense to her.

I can't wait to see her this evening to get her reaction! With any luck, she'll be going again next month with the same operation. She said this morning that she'll be asking Kelly (are you reading this Kel?) to take her snowboarding (I know, you ski). I think I'll go to! Maybe even go next month with the organized group. Maybe. Depends on the job situation. But that's a topic for another day. For now, I have visions of a very happy but exhausted Madster exiting the bus this evening. Yay!

No comments: