26 September 2007

and I'm not even an auditory person; I'm visual/tactile

Have you ever heard music that you just wanted to reach out & touch? That was how the Global Drum Project show on Sunday was for me. It was Mickey Hart, Zakir Hussein, Sikiru Adepoju, and Giovanni Hidalgo. OMG. Before the show began, there were these 2 large, wood-looking free-form sculptures on a table in the middle front of the stage. Mickey walked out and "introduced" them as "Squid" a civil war age grapevine root (?) and "Two Dolphins out of Fire" (or something like that) which was (I think) a large driftwood. He & Zakir commenced to PLAY them -Mickey on Squid with a bass drum type mallet and a gloved hand & Zakir on Two Dolphins with two smaller mallets. What a way to start the show!! I can't even describe it to you. The table was wheeled off stage after that & Mickey took his place behind the drum set at center stage, Zakir was to the right, Giovanni on the left & Sikiru right front. Words escape me now as I try to convey to you what happened over the next hour & a half. It was just one of the best shows I've ever HEARD. I had my eyes closed most of the show because it wasn't that kind of a show. It was all about the sound. It was far more intimate than the Paramount show a few years ago. Just dreamy, floating, driving percussion melding from one melody to the next. OMG. I had to take of my shoes to FEEL the sound under my feet and dance. I kind of wanted to bend over & put my hands on the floor too. But that would have made for awkward dancing. I'm telling you, if I could have reached out to TOUCH the music with my hands, I would have. It was over all too soon, and I found myself spewed back out into the streets of Boulder. I didn't stay for the drumming outside this time because it in no way compared to what I had just experienced; I didn't want to muddy my vibe with the impure sounds of average drumming. I wanted to postpone reality for a little while longer.

If I had the cash, I would certainly have gone again the next night in Denver. If you get 1/2 a chance, you HAVE TO go to this show. Close your eyes & let your body feel the music. I promise you, it will be unlike any concert you've ever encountered before.

No comments: