09 September 2007

day 11: day trip (& then some)

The Friday the girls & I drove down (& over) to a little town in PA near Altoona to visit my best friend from the Art Institute days -also my maid of honor & Nikki's Godmother- Laurie. We'd been out of contact since Maddie was born. We missed our exit so ended up taking the scenic route which, with construction, took us about 3 hours longer than anticipated. We did get to drive by THE Pennsylvania college football mecca -Beaver Stadium. It's freaking monstrous. I mean, I knew it was large (2nd largest in US) but to see it even from the road was unbelievable.

We hung out with Matt & Laurie & their littles. As to be expected, catching up & reminicsing. I even broke down & had a couple smokes just 'cuz that's what we used to do & it's funny how one's body just knows -even after 10 years.

Later that evening Laurie, Snick, Mad & I went to the local Barnes & Noble for the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows book release festivities. It was PACKED. Loads of costumes. Fun activites & giveaways. Maddie found a 'golden snitch' & got a prize for it. We left the bookstore around 1am. Left Laurie's around 1:30am. Yeah, we were about 15 minutes on the road & I was reminded of PA's immense deer population & just how dangerous it can be to drive late at night. I had half a thought to turn around to stay the night & drive in the daylight. Luckily we had no close up interactions. We arrived back at my parents about 4:30am. Tired -some sleeping- but happy.


fun in the bounce house

I love friendships that seem like not a day has passed, that just pick up right where they left off.



lip gloss -a sure fire way to make friends
everyone wants some
except Lib who likes to do her own thing

these cute little owl displays at B&N



We were a little sad to miss the final release at Bookies, but this was fun too. This is just a partial picture of one of the lines....
Snick had to text her friends who were having a Harry Potter party in CO...she did get to purchase & start reading 2 hours before them, after all.
does she look happy or what??? Of course she had to read it all the drive back to Strattanville. (good mom that I am for bringing the book light). & it only took the drive home to CO for her to read the whole thing. I think she finished somewhere near Sterling. Ahhhhh, now I know why she didn't comment on my choice of radio station until then.

No comments: