14 September 2007

day 13: the day the girls look forward to for a full year

Today is the day we visited with my friends Mark & Carol. I've known Mark since jr high school. And Carol since she & Mark were dating whilst attending the Art Institute in PGH. I remember stopping by their very cool apartment in Oakland on our way to a concert. I think it was W.A.S.P. and Dokken? We did meet one of the bands, which one, I do not remember. Matt, (Mark's younger brother & my classmate) never fails to remind me how the guitarist was checking me out -could it have been the big hair, short skirt & high heels? Really, how else would I dress in the 80's going to a metal concert? I mean, in the days before grunge, right?

Anywho, back to 2007, Noah is their son, who is almost exactly a year younger than Nikki. So we've know him all his life too. I have got to find those old photos. Too cute. Mark & Carol built their house the summer that Nikki & I moved to CO. They live off the grid, so to speak. What child doesn't dream about that kind of life. Or adult, for that matter. I saw that Sundance Channel has some "green" living program from England. My friends have done it already for 11 years or so! It's freaking awesome. & I'm just a little envious. Maddie's first visit was in 2001. She was still talking about it in 2006 when we finally made it back for another visit.

This was definitely a memorable part of our trip.

the very first thing on the girls' "must do" list for this special day is to feed the chickens.

oddly enough, the chickens did not want to be fed at this particular moment -can't imagine why



into the coop we go; there was but one egg which met it's demise at the hands of a particular overzealous 3 year old

said 3 year old has scored a coup with a much sought after rooster feather nanny nanny boo boo!

look what chicken scratch on a little hand will do to poor Yoda. And don't I every time want to call him Buddy b/c he looks just like his dad

on to the garden for some tasty treats...cucumbers, I think


then we must pick apples. We missed berry season this year.


pensive teenager

waiting patiently impatiently for Nikki & Noah to return with the ATV

from youngest to oldest, everyone got a turn

before ATV ride

after ATV ride

Mad was quite excited because she got a chance to steer



notice Madsters most recent bad habit? Phoebe & Scoob are getting up in years too...makes ME feel old

What respectable W. PA outdoorsy gathering would be without a fire?

makeshift see-saw









Fi's very first cherry mountain pie (my personal favorite is pizza)


you can tell by the stains that it's been a busy day & by their faces that it's been a good day
a little midnight serenade with the 12 string; Noah is an excellent guitarist

himself & herself



she's bee-you-ti-ful, if I do say so myself



Noah says to Snick "you probably have a lot of practice doing this"



Noah has reached the end of his picture taking patience...Nikki could go on for a few more shots

No comments: