04 December 2008

sometimes insomnia has benefits

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
One of my all time favorite movies. Chick flick, but not in the usual manner. The dialogue is incredibly fun; witty but not annoying like "Juno". I love that the boarding house scenes are rife with actual dialogued ad-libs from the actresses themselves -way impressive! (as opposed to the contrived teenage hipsterspeak in "Juno".) The costuming is incredible for a period study. A young Lucille Ball AND Katherine Hepburn AND Ginger Rogers AND Ann Miller. Freaking awesome for 1937!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
This was a very interesting flick. Pretty typical for Brad Pitt; hot as ever -also typical. I'm not a huge Casey Affleck fan, but this was a darn good performance; right up there with "Gone Baby Gone". The storyline was intriguing, never boring even though it was slow. What really impressed me was the cinematography -beautiful- & the score -haunting. You should check it out just for that.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I first saw this advertised on the side of a bus in London. That was 3 years ago. I put it off because of the reviews I heard. Thought I'd give it a whirl last night. Well, it wasn't stellar, but it wasn't actually horrible either. I think the premise is quite original -or at least I can't think of a similar storyline off the top of my sleepy head. I wouldn't have walked out of the theatre had I paid for it. Mmmm, but I am glad I waited to see it for "free" OnDemand.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
This was my late last night (early morning) viewing. Whew. I would call this a thriller for chicks. It was even painful for me to watch -or rather imagine- at times. Not bad for a low budget flick. If you've got nothing to do, or there's nothing on the tube, or you suffer from insomnia, check it out. I don't wish I had those 90 minutes back, so there. It kinda reminded me of "Boxing Helena". Then again, I haven't seen that since the 80's; may have to revisit it for clarification.

No comments: