06 December 2008

uuuuh-huuuuh

I love this article from Slate's XX Factor

I have to admit, I hated Bratz when they first came on the toy store scene. They were trampy & freaky (the foot/shoe thing) & surely "bad" for my kids. I can, with utmost confidence, say that NONE of my daughters has been led to dress promiscuously or to think less of themselves & the female gender, in particular. It's fiction, and don't they know it. Fashion dolls are merely practice in fine motor skills & social interaction.

Lol, wouldn't my former women's studies profs be a tad worried to read this from me!? I have my very own experiment running on a daily basis, ya know. I've got research to back up my claims. Well, I suppose only time will tell. It could very well be that one day in the far future one of my DD's will be confessing to a therapist somewhere how all her problems stem from being allowed to play with Bratz. I know I blame Barbie for my own shoe obssession: She always had matching shoes with every outfit...and now, so do I (or at least I'm working on it -just ask G, or observe that my closet can no longer contain my footwear.)

Sigh. I just had a thought. A sad thought. All those shoes that I had to donate because they no longer fit after Lib was born. Sigh. They were all so fabulous. Well then, that rationalizes for me the need to further replenish my collection. ;););)

No comments: