21 February 2008

inspiration

I started watching this movie yesterdayImage Hosted by ImageShack.us


I only got about 20 minutes or so into it before I had to go to work. Even from just the short amount of time I did get to watch it, I was so freaking inclined to not even go to work, but just wanted to stay home and CREATE something. Lots of somethings. My mind starting working a mile a mintute with grand ideas for many projects. I didn't have time to write them down. Even at work I was still planning in my head. When I came home I spent some time with Maddie, as I usually do, & divulged to her some of my ideas. I was still spinning with inspiration. I think she was a little overwhelmed. "You can't do that, mom" said she of the straight & narrow rules of life. My enthusiasm did rub off on her after awhile though, because then she started thinking of things we could do together to create ART. She can be so creative & is such a thinker, it sucks that she is slowly having that sensitive side of her erased. I need to help her preserve that bit...and regain my own creativity in the process.

I have to say, the public school system is fairly good at killing ingenuity, same with the general workplace atmosphere. It's so easy -as an adult or a child- to just give up & go with the flow, for the sake of keeping the peace, to live down to other's expectations. Life is too short & beauty is all around. Yet there is no shortage of life sucking vampires to pick away & pluck away at one's ability to self express & think outside the box. The pace of life with all the many & varied distractions make life all that much shorter. Fcuk it. I have to soldier on. I can't let my own & my daughters' inner artists be eradicated for fitting in with the "norm". It's a full time job, just that, let alone having to do all the normal parenting stuff. I don't want my kids to be "ordinary", I want them to be fcuking incredible. The ability to live fully and creatively cannot be a compromised.

Anyway, after finishing this flick today, my desire to create has been so fantastically stirred and in such a way that no other movie or book or podcast or exhibition, even, about or by any artist ever has before. Even a trip to an art museum provides only a short lived inspiration for me. Learning about Ray Johnson makes me want to go to Home Depot & Guiry's to buy supplies. I've got some other ideas for smaller works too. I do feel compelled to first finish some projects I've already started. Knitting & sewing are good outlets, but they're so "controlled", if you know what I mean. Except for the project I'm just finishing. It's most excellent. Pics to follow soon....

No comments: