14 May 2007

Tot falls off balcony

By Rocky Mountain News
May 14, 2007
A toddler who fell 12 feet from a second-floor apartment balcony Saturday was treated for minor injuries and released.
The 2-year-old boy fell about 7:50 p.m. from the apartment near 92nd Avenue and Federal Boulevard, the Westminster Fire Department said.

Westminster police investigated the incident and determined it was accidental.


Are you freaking kidding me?!?!?! This is like the 4th child in Denver to fall from a window or balcony in as many months. People, really, are you that unaware? Do the mass warnings not mean anything to you who live in upstairs apartments, I mean, since common sense obviously hasn't kicked in. Is it a case of "those who do not know history are bound to repeat it" kind of thing? WTF. Is gravity that much stronger here than anywhere else in the world? I just don't get it. Little kids who think they can fly?

I have a memory of my brother sitting in the second floor window, feet dangling over the edge. He was about 3. I suppose we're lucky he didn't fall. He could have been like one of these kids. A neighbor across the way saw him & told my mom who promptly snagged him & I'm sure beat his little hiney.

Then there's Libster who is currently going by the name of "spiderman". Previously she was "peter pan" & thought she could fly. It was pretty darn cute. She actually attempted to fly one day. She jumped off the beanbag from about 18 in. off the ground. With her feet up. Yeah, she landed pretty hard on her tush. The look on her face was absolute shock...and a little pain...and maybe a little recognition that this was a lesson to be learned -only in movies can gravity be defied.

1 comment:

G said...

I read somewhere that there were all of 4 falls last year in Denver by children from a second floor. This year there has been nine already. One of those was from a fifth floor window! Thankfully, all have survived that I can recall. I do feel a little better knowing we moved Finn's bed away from the window.