10 October 2006

Is it wrong to root for a team just b/c the manager kicks ass?

ok, maybe I'm just feeling a little over sensitive. But why oh why oh why have all my favorite teams taken a freakin' turn for the worst????

Right, so I have almost come to EXPECT the Pirates to end up near the bottom of the heap. (Won't Jim Leyland PLEASE come back???)

The Penguins too have been at the bottom for so long. Not to be sacreligious or anything, but if the team doesn't perform at least beyond mediocrity why in the world should the city spend a bunch of money on a new arena? Will a new arena guarantee a better team? I think not; look what happened with the Pirates. They're on the upwards scale of mediocrity even with a new stadium.

Then the Buffs start the season with a loss, then another and another...and not a win yet after 5 weeks. WTF?!?!?!?!?! And don't give me that crap about how Coach Hawkins is new & he's stuck with a team that he didn't build; not every new coach has a no win season. Find a way to work it, man; it's the reason you get paid the big bucks.

Well, at least I have the Steelers, no? NO! Not even the Super Bowl winning Steelers can appease my thirst for some notches in the win column.

It's sad. Pathetic. I can say it's a familiar feeling. Losing. My high school football team had (I believe) not one winning season the whole time I was there. Familiar feeling -the feeling of possiblity every week, then the miserable letdown. Not comfortable, mind you, but I have been here before.

It all cycles I suppose. My high school team won State a few years after graduation (with the same coach who took them b4 I started school there). The Steelers did just win the Superbowl. The Pirates have won a few pennants, a few world series. The Penguins won back to back Stanley Cups. And of course the Buffs have been National Champs too.

But you try living with someone who's alma mater has produced a winning team at least every year since you've been together. And his baseball team is a winning machine. It sucks. Alot.

For now I will be joyous that neither the Yankees (nor the Braves, for that matter) are in the running for the World Series (PGH could also have all winning seasons if they had the same budget). Jim Leyland kicks ass and takes names wherever he goes (except the Rockies; they must be some kind of freaks). Thanks for the memories, dude. GO Tigers GO!

1 comment:

renee said...

Not a lot of sympathy over here in Loserville, USA! :-) My favorite team, the Vikings, have been to the Super Bowl 4 times, but never won. We were 15-1 in 1998 and lost the NFC championship in overtime. Then we lost the NFC Championship in 2001 41 - 0 - how embarrassing! This year they look pretty mediocre, too. The Timberwolves are perpetually terrible. We had a good season two seasons ago, but lost to the Lakers and now they're just absolutely terrible. We lost our hockey team, but now we've got one back who had one run in the playoffs, but no Stanley Cup. The U of MN football team is a joke and has been for decades. The U of MN basketball team had a final four appearance, but it got taken away because of cheating. The one team that has won a championship is the Twins - 15 years ago. This year seemed magical, but we got swept in the ALCS. Being a sports fan in Minnesota is truly heartbreaking.