01 October 2006

Beer pt II

OMG. I have to say that was the most fun I've ever had whilst volunteering! I was pouring barley wine from this little brewpub in Gunnison (Gunnison Brewery). The stuff was tasty, very tasty. But funny how a few people knew what it was & made jokes about it & asked for just a little taste. And other people -mostly guys-turned their noses up at it, I think b/c it had the word "wine" in the name. Some guy even said to me "it takes alot of balls to bring wine to a beer contest". Dumbass. BUT as soon as I said it was 9% alcohol they were all over it.

The first guys at our table were of the frat boy variety & were merely going on down the line doing shots of every single beer. I'm sure they were wasted within the hour.

There was a pipe band at the beginning. And then 3 dudes wearing 1/2 kegs around their bodies w/ hard hats that had a 3 or 4 hose tap on the top (octopus tap?) Too funny. I saw Glenda the good witch & an oompa loompa. And other various characters. There was some schwag to be had, but by the time I got a break, it was mostly gone.

I got to walk around on my breaks & sample as much beer as I wanted. There were definitely drunk volunteers.

I tasted:
a stout from Puyallup, WA
a very tasty pumpkin ale from Brooklyn NY
a yummy honey-raspberry ale from Spanish Peaks Brewery in Montana
Penn Pilsner from PGH, PA
Odell's 90 shilling which I hadn't had in quite a long time & memories that coincide w/ that beer came back to me as soon as I tasted it
"the man beer" from Bull & Bush down the street here -it was slightly hoppy
A no taste pumpkin ale from Blue Moon
Hummingbird ale -one of my favorites from Mountain Sun in Boulder
A not so tasty "organic" IPA from TX
A meh stout from Rogue
A few more hoppy beers (so very scrummy)
A not so good beer from Rock Bottom that came with a taste of chocolate cheesecake; it actually didn't taste bad with the cheesecake, if you can imagine that, but it also wasn't tasty enough to ever drink again
winterfish ale from Washington state
a rye beer from ?? USA
Dam Straight lager fromDillon Dam Brewery; I ate there a couple summers ago.
And then there was the table that had so many people crowded around it-I think b/c it had fresh hops all over the table & it smelled incredibly like pot! The beer was good too. But the smell was incredibly addicting! I could've stood there all night.

It was all so good & almost overwhelming. I missed the Hawaii beer & all of the California beers. There was a fun KS brewery that was called Safari, or something like that & had fun costumes. I saw Fathead's stickers but couldn't find the Fathead's table.

No comments: